Saturday 11 February 2012

Brisbane Baby!

Then that was it, we got to Brisbane. The first night was pretty uneventfull. We stopped in this campsite in Sydneys north to plug into the electric and get the battery in the back recharged. It was pretty expensive though, so after doing a bit of busking in this shopping mall in the morning, we drove into the centre, and had a bit of a look around.

Thats where it started getting good, although we didnt know it yet. Its funny how things work out though. By the time we got back to the camper, it was late, we were knackered, and we'd left it too late to book a campsite. We were both pretty tired and grumpy, so we just chose this little park by the river to sleep in. Tiny place, middle of nowhere. Had a bit of dinner, and went to sleep...

Then the next morning, I got up early for a change (possibly the 1st time ever! :P) and was just sitting watching the river, when suddenly I hear this voice go '...chris?'. I look around, and bugger me, If it isnt my old friend Debbie Shotton from England. I met her at the SGP (with her husband, and also my mate, Ben) in 2004, when I broke my leg, Saw them a few more times in and around london, then lost touch with them in 2006, just after my birthday (October).  Bens Brother Jamie (who I met at thier wedding years ago!) is also just around the corner.

So yes, Dumbfounded I reply '...Debbie??'. And yeah, it turns out they had moved to Australia a few years ago, and lived JUST around the corner. If I hadnt got up early I would have missed her and never known, but  she took us in, cooked us a massive fry up for breakfast, offered us a proper shower. It was really good, and one hell of a good suprise!

Ive been staying round thier house the last few days, in thier front garden, doing a bit of busking in the day, and chatting away all night. Yesterday (Saturday) we went round the Markets in the morning, and then went to this English Shop, and then had proper English Fish and Chips, WITH CURRY SAUCE! (you cant get it anywhere over here...its been hard these two years! :P) Then at night, we had a BBQ, copious amounts of beer, and I headed out to go busking, which I did to some extent. I was pretty drunk, and Debbie kept smuggling me out beers from this Nightclub, which I ended up in later, till 4am.

It must have been a good night, because we ended up with a traffic cone, a Golf Cart, a Football, and a newspaper. Sign of a good night! :) Today im broken though. I really needed to go and make some money (its pretty tough over here...specially without a battery to plug into, but just couldnt manage it.

So yes, tommorrow we're heading up to Rainbow Beach...it should be good, although itll be a bloody early morning! (9am. :P)

Watch this space people!

1 comment: