Thursday 3 May 2012

Adelaide

So yes, as I was saying in my last post, I went round my mates Reece and Alex's house in Adelaide. My original plan was to get there and do lots of busking, because it was the fringe festival. This didnt work because partly the people of adelaide arent actually impressed by anything. In fact, there was this bloke I was watching, balancing on a ladder, juggling flaming knifes, and stripping down to his pants, and noone even clapped first of all! It was pretty funny. The bloke (who was english) was like 'oh come on! Its taken me 2 years of practice alone just to balance on the ladder, not to mention the juggling, AND! im stripping! What does it take to impress you people...CLAP!' .

So yes, that says it all. They did clap after that, but when my depressing folk music is up against stripping, balancing knife jugglers, I was onto a loser really. I got a bit of cash, but nothing like the money I was hoping for, so yes. I went to plan B, and spent 2 days getting pissed and having barbeques around Reeces house. I think this is called Job Hunting, yes? (it sounds boring, but it wasnt. Its just there wasnt much more content to it than Goon, Ice pops (as ice cubes. Can I get an 'Oh yes!'), burgers, movies, and catching up on old times (thats one year ago.. :) )

Anyways, yes. Job Hunting. It was definately job hunting, because I rang up a farner I worked for last year, and got me and Alex (Gosbee) a job picking mangos on his farm!

It was pretty cool. Just outside of Red Cliffs (I know I swore never to go back, but what can you do??). Colignan. There was nothing there but the farm basically, but we could stay on the farm, and it was a pretty cruisy job (although it broke alex a bit, as hes used to doing 3 days on 3 days off in an aircraft office now I think). I got a 4x4 and a bucket, and Alex got the chance to drive a tractor...Ken the farmer offered me the job, but I thought its going to come in a hell of a lot more handy for Alex than it is for me now. Ill just pretend I did in the future! :)

So yes, that went on for 10 days in the end. On our day off, this bloke Dennis took us out fishing. Turns out hes the luckiest man alive..he was saying at one point how hed put $2 in the pokie (fruit) machine, and got $4k out of it, then he'd won $160k on the lotto, and then $1.6million. THEN he'd won a boat..and this bloke. Well, he just looked like a farm hand. Certainly not a millionaire, so when we went round to his little cottage (which he got for free), for him to take us fishing, there was a boat there. Which he'd won. And a brand new Hi-lux. And whilst he was fishing, he was saying we should all go and get pissed next weekend, but oh wait. No, he couldnt because he was picking up his brand new Mazda from town...So yes. He really was the luckiest man alive! :P

Good bloke though,...he drove us around the national park too, showed us a few of the sights. Its a shame we had to go, but the job ran out...narrowly missed Flower Picking, which I dont think I would ever have been able to live down, despite the fact they were 'spikey MAN-FLOWERS' according to the farmer :P. The other farmers daughter didnt particularly want us there in the end though...shed got friends with the two german girls who were working in the packing shed, and kept them on, and kicked us out. Still, it was good while it lasted...

Also met some cool people. On top of Dennis, there was Bob, a 65 year old Abalone diver, who was keeping up with 20 year olds picking oranges, mental bloke. He didnt look a day over 40 either...it was only when he mentioned that he was going to collect his super (annuation) in a few weeks that it clicked, and Jay a crazy french guy! He was only there for a few days at the start, but he is definately added to the growing number of french ive met that are actually cool people, and not in the slightest bit selfish and arrogant. In fact, I now know more good than bad french, so perhaps they really have changed! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment