Saturday 19 May 2012

Malaysia - Penang and Langkawi

So yes, I got to Penang... It was a really nice place! I was only planning to stay for a few days, but ended up staying longer. I met some awesome people there, and had a GREAT time! Well, after finally finding my way into georgetown (Id started walking the wrong way, before finally biting the bullet, and getting a taxi) and ended up at the Reggae Mansion hostel on Love lane. Nice place, and it turns out that a couple of people id met in KL had decided to go to the same place as well....

So yes, the first day, I hook up with one of them, a bloke called Clint, and Candi (an Aussie id just randomly pulled in with my charm and good looks *coughs*), and went up to Penang Hill. I was going to go there anyway, but they happened to be leaving at the same time, so I thought f**k it, why not. It was really nice up there...the views across penang were amazing, and it was just a really nice place to have a wonder around, and just soak up the scenary (and cooler air).

After that, I just headed back to the hostel and chilled out. Found a cheap bottle of vodka-ish stuff (7rm - $2.20) and a bottle of apple juice to hide the flavour (2rm - 80c), and a nice chilled beer, and chatted and played guitar till the small hours of the morning!

So yes, the next day I didnt do much, I walked around a bit, and sampled the food on offer. The food in Penang I should mention is phenominal. There is everything. Malay, Indian, Chinese, and its all ridiculously cheap. Also I discovered Jack Fruit, which are probably my favorite new fruit...Also I ran into a cool New Zealand / Indian Couple called Subesh, and Lucky, whove educated me in some amazing Indian food. Roti's are probably second below Laksa as my favorite dish over here...Also, a really cool German girl called Johanna. And bizarely a few french blokes who recognised me from Fremantle!

The next day I was considering getting a Scooter and driving around Penang...I almost did it too, except Im not very good at mornings, and id missed Johanna, Subesh, and Lucky by 30mins, so I walked around Penang a bit more, visted the museum, went to a few temples, stuffed myself full of amazing food, and washed it all down with fresh coconut juice. Its a hard life...

Met this cool bloke called Wan as well. He was a 50 year old Singaporian bloke, whod been a pilot in the army, before retiring, and had decided that he didnt want to be stuck in one place, and had gone around Asia for two months travelling...excellent bloke. He kept coming out with all these really deep and meaningfull sayings too. Ill have to try and compile the Little book of Wan one day I think. On top of this, he was a really good guitarist and singer, and its always nice to have someone else play guitar for a change! So yes, chilled out with him for a bit, and this other german girl, Carolina...

So yes, the next day, although I was going to cut across to the Perhintian islands on the east coast, I decided to go with Carolina to Langkawi instead...problem is, again, mornings. Didnt wake up again until 30mins after shed left, So thought fuck it. Ill go anyways. its only a small place...

Pah! Place is massive. Really nice though...a bit built up and resort like, but its got some cool beaches here. Never did find Carolina again though, but thats my fault for not having an alarm I suppose! :)

So yes, Ive just spent the last days here...im 100m from the beach, so ive just been mostly relaxing. The owner likes my guitar playing too, so Ive had (quite) a few free beers thrown my way, and a few nights rent etc. Its also had the best crowd of people coming through...everyone that comes in is awesome! I even got roped into playing ring of fire one night, which was really fun, but did actually kill me. I spent the day before yesterday curled up in bed in the fetal position, waiting for the world to swallow me up. I also broke the hinges on the room door. That was it. My entire day. I havent felt that bad in a long time after a night out..

..So yesterday I decided to make up for it by trying to do something useful with my day. There were a bunch of us, Sam (the manager), Lisa, Julia, Joe, and Me who were all talking seperately about hiring a moped and driving around the town, so we decided to all chip and get a car between us...

It was awesome...we drove up to this waterfall, and spent most of the afternoon swimming in this rock pool at the bottom, which was exactly what I needed to beat the heat. It was full of crazy locals though. The water would only come to the bottom of my thighs, but these kids were jumping in from 20ft up this bloody cliff. Mental Bastards...

Then we went over to Monkey Beach, where we chilled out and did a bit of sunbathing, looking out over Thailiand. Then we went around the island to this Hot Spring place, and then to Black Beach, which is where the sand is black (ish) due to the granite in the rocks, and some other minerals apparantly. I think its probably more to do with the massive cement factory 1/2 a kilometer away over the water, but never mind! :) So yes, had a look at that place, then went round the night markets in Kuah, the capital of the island, where I tried Mangostien (awesome), Some sort of pancakes (awesome), some real nice barbequed fish (awesome), noodles (awesome), and Durian (not so awesome. Smells like...actually. It smells like leeking gas, with a slight hint of pinapple).

So thats that...i was going to go to the Cameron Highlands for a few days before going home on wednesday, but I need to go into the bank on monday to sort some money out and I dont think ill have time. I want to be back in KL for Tuesday night, just incase something goes wrong with travelling, and I need to get another bus, or a transfer or something. To be safe essentially. Buggered if Im going to tear up another bloody plane ticket!

Thats okay though, because Julia is back in KL studying at the moment, and Lisa is flying out of KL at the same time as me, with the same people, so we'll all catch up in KL for dinner or something (and probably a bevvy or three!). Worryingly she goes to Amsterdam, and I go to Heathrow. And she lands in Amsterdam at 8am, and I land in london at 5am. So maybe im going to be going to Amsterdam instead...luckily she says she has a spare bed for me, so that could actually work out better. :) Maybe ill get on that flight anyways.. :)

So yes, one more night here, one more day on the beach, and then im back home! Get the red carpet ready guys! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment